Potato masala recipe
Aloo Masala (potato masala recipe)
This was made as a filling for my raclette dosas.
This recipe is loosely based on a recipe from the Saffron Trail.
Potato Masala Recipe Ingredients
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed for boiling
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, or butter and vegetable oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- optional: water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the chopped potatoes and boil until they are soft enough to be pierced with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes. Heat the oil (and butter if desired) in a large pan on medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion to the oil and cook until transparent, about eight minutes.
- Add the garlic to the onions and stir with a spatula. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the salt and spices to the oil and mix with a spatula until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes to the oil and spice and mix with a spatula until the potatoes are well coated. Add more salt and chili powder to taste, if desired.
- Cook for a five minutes until potatoes and spices are well mixed.
- Pour in the frozen peas and a quarter cup of water and mix well. The potatoes are done when most of the liquid has been cooked off. They should be soft and a little bit mashed, but the pieces should still be obvious.
To serve with raclette dosas
- Put the potatoes in a bowl that everyone at the table can easily reach, and provide a serving spoon for everyone to scoop their own potatoes into their dosa.
- Fold up your dosa like a crepe and enjoy with chutney and sambar.
If you're ready to to do some tabletop cooking, here are some links to help you get what you need...